Saturday, July 23, 2016

The story behind my bike...

First off, I would like to warn you of the nature of this post before proceeding; it is going to be... busy? Cluttered? Take your pick!

"But aren't all of your posts like that?"

Ah, but this one is different! Follow me and witness the method to my madness... or just my madness *Chrissy Teigen face*

Anyways, if you follow me on social media, you're a real one, if you don't, you're playing yourself (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) #ShamelessPlug #IsItAppropriateToUseHashtagsInThisManner #WelpIt'sHappening #MyBlogMyRules #StopRambling.

The point is that if you follow me on social media, you might have been hinted to my inclination for environmentally sustainable practices. One particular practice I have taken up is riding my bike to church instead of driving. This is no great feat. In fact, the ride totals around a mile and a half-- told you it's nothing impressive. At this point, this practice has become commonplace and I rarely put much thought to it. But today, a lady made a comment that made me question this relatively new habit of mine.

As I unlocked my bike, a lady behind me exclaimed, "you're riding your bike in this heat?"

Looking over my shoulder towards the voice, I gave off my signature "why are you talking to me?" chuckle, topped with my "stop it! look friendly" grin--nailed it!

"Wow, bless your heart," she said.

"Um, thanks?" I said underneath my breath, returning back to freeing my bike.

The weather was well over 100 degrees and my bike had been sitting in the sun for the last hour and thirty minutes, a recipe for second-degree burns. After a few seconds of fumbling with my lock, I finally succeeded in freeing my bike, but the toll was evident as beads of sweat rolled down my face. Handling the metal frame of my bike like a hot potato, I hastily proceeded off the sidewalk. I hopped on my bike and coasted through the parking lot, finding relief in the warm breeze. As my hands gradually acclimated to the temperature of the handlebars, my mind wandered to the lingering echoes of the lady's words.

"You're riding your bike in this heat?" The tone of her voice was like she witnessed me casually drink spoilt milk (horrible analogy, but it's the best I can do right now.)

As I crossed the street, I replayed her statement in my head, to the point of questioning my sanity. I had a perfectly working car with A/C, so why endure this discomfort when there is a much more comfortable alternative?

Cruising past the stop sign leading to my neighborhood, I chuckled because I already knew the answer to this question. The decision to ride my bike to church, instead of driving, did not spur from a desire for convenience, but rather from a need to address an issue that I believe in.

The ride from my house to my church is around a mile and a half total. Sure, the sun is hot and it can get uncomfortable, but the ride from my house to my church is around a mile and a half total. A cause, or goal, does not have to be grand or force you to live a life of burden. But there are some goals that will require you to experience some discomfort to achieve. Although I try to have more sustainable practices, I fall short and I am even wasteful in some aspects of my life. But to me, if one truly believes in a cause or goal, the key is to make repeated efforts to affect that goal, cause, or desire, and not just talk about it, because there is no greater offense in this life than being a hypocrite.

So, I leave you with that; the story behind my bike...

See! There was method to my madness, yes? No?

One Love

No comments:

Post a Comment